What do we require from parents & students?
This page is very important as it lists out what we expect from our students and parents. We are not a brick and mortar school since all of our classes are hosted online. This comes with advantages, but also some changes in the way some things are done. In order to take full advantage of what our program offers, the following requirements must be met.
All students are required to.....
- Have a computer. This should be a Mac or Windows PC. We do not recommend using a tablet or a Chrome book at this time because of their size and some limitations. The computer should have the minimum of 4gb of ram and a dual core processor. A 13 inch screen will work fine, however, a 15 inch is a lot better to use and will allow your student to stay involved with class much easier.
- Have a headset with a mic so that they can communicate with the teacher and other students. A USB headset is recommended. Most computers come with a microphone, but having a headset is important so that microphone capabilities can be left on at times to allow for conversations to take place in class without an echo.
- Use the Beacon Student email account that will be issued to them for all communication from Beacon staff and other students.
- Have Microsoft Office, KingSoft Office (available only for Window based computer & is free) or Open Office to complete any writing assignments or other assignments if necessary.
- Have a PDF reader installed on the computer. All files from the teachers will most likely be PDFs.
- Have a printer and it is highly recommended to include a scanner (a phone scanner will work in the event an actual scanner is not accessible).
- Treat all other students, teachers and staff with the utmost respect, polite speech and uplifting conversations. Profanity will not be tolerated!
- Complete all homework assignments and turn in promptly.
- Maintain constant communication with the teacher.
- Arrive in class on time.
- Have all books readily accessible and/or open and ready for class.
- Stay on task. When the student is in class they should not be working on anything else or distracted by other people in the area.
- Attend classes at a desk or table and not laying in bed or wearing pj's, especially when the webcams are in use.
- Constantly participate in class, raise their hand before speaking, not leave without being excused first and work together with other students to collaborate on projects and homework assignment.
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Directly plugged into the internet modem for a faster and more reliable connection to our virtual classroom.
- The student's computer have a web cam as the teachers will allow the students to turn on their web cam from time to time.
- Students to have a writing tablet or mouse pen to make it easier to write on the white board or to complete assignments directly on the computer rather than to print and scan
- Each student have access to Microsoft Office to complete some assignments. This is a program that is widely universal between all computers. We currently use Google Apps for Education and with this system, the student will have access to Google Docs and Google Spreadsheets to complete assignments as well when needed. Docs and Spreadsheets are programs that are provided online only. Having Microsoft Office installed on your computer would give you an offline program to complete assignments.
- Students have access to a PDF Editor of some kind. Being able to fill out PDF forms on the computer will save lots of paper.
All Parents are Required to:
- Have a high speed connection with a minimum of 10mbs down and 1mb up. This is important so that your student(s) can participate in a live class and complete their assignments. If you have multiple students enrolled, the higher the upload/download speeds are, the better the experience will be!
- Directly plug in the computer to the modem for the best performance with our system during the live class session.
- Use the Beacon Parent email account that will be issued for all communication from Beacon staff and Learning Management System.
- Have constant communication with the teacher. Typically this can be done via email unless a conference call is necessary.
- Always be involved with the student's daily studies.
- Make sure that students are turning in completed assignments.
- Make sure that the student is seated at the computer and paying attention to the lesson being taught.
- Comply with your states homeschool requirements. (Beacon of Hope does not report attendance and grades to your local district).
IMPORTANT TO KNOW:
It is important to understand that our school is completely online and all of our staff work across the country. There is no brick and mortar location to come visit or for us to see you on a daily basis. Our staff take care of the teaching, planning and grading but it is extremely important to understand that you interact with your students and they will need you to assist them with homework assignments. Our staff are always willing to answer questions via email and chat when possible.